COMBONI MISSIONARIES PRIESTS AND BROTHERS
Brief Historical Background
The first missionaries of Comboni were allowed by the Colonial authorities to enter Uganda only in 1910 although the Mission had been confirmed for them since 1894. First, they settled in Omach, opposite to Pakwach, where they were preceded by the Bishop of Khartoum Monsignor Francis Xavier Geyer, Vicar Apostolic of all Central Africa. They entered Gulu in 1911 and were allowed to go to Kitgum in 1915. Gradually, they opened missions in the various Districts of Equatorial Region.
Present Area of Apostolate
• Work in Parishes
• Work in diocesan offices
• Brothers are doing technical work: mechanics, carpentry and construction
• Work in printing Press
In general our Brothers are giving a good contribution in technical and financial matters in Lacor Hospital, our Centre in Layibi, and St.Jude Orphanage (Cathedral) with its 98 orphans, 450 Primary School children and 52 members off the Staff.
Near Lacor Hospital a nice and big Church was built and recently dedicated in honour of St. Daniel Comboni, in memory of the 100 years of Evangelization in the land of North Uganda.
The Fathers, together with Chaplains, are taking care of spiritual life of nearby colleges and of the Religious Sisters of Mary Immaculate of Gulu and the Sisters of Sacred Heart- Moyo.
Priests-see under clergy
1. Bro. Elio Croce,MCCJ
2. Bro. Carlo Torri,MCCJ
3. Bro. Benito Ricci,MCCJ
4. Bro. Konrad Tremmel,MCCJ
THE SOCIETY OF JESUS (JESUITS)
Brief Historical Background
The Society of Jesus, commonly known as “Jesuits,” is an international religious institute approved by Pope Paul III in 1540, founded by the Spaniard St. Ignatius Loyola; his two first companions were St. Francis Xavier and St. Peter Favre. Currently the order has about 17,000 members (priests, brothers, and vowed men in formation) missioned in over one hundred countries, but under one Superior General in Rome. Solemnly professed Jesuit priests take a special vow of obedience to the Holy Father as regards mission, to be available to go anywhere and do any ministry where “the needs seem greater”. From the beginning Jesuits served in foreign missions, run schools and universities, retreat ministries and other pastoral services including parishes, as well as more recently justice/peace ministries and work with refugees.
The Society of Jesus has been in Uganda since 1969, but because of civil disorders (Idi Amin, etc.) could not establish the first residence until 1987 in Kampala. Their local African provincial is in Nairobi, Kenya. The Society came to the Archdiocese of Gulu in June, 2007, with the approval of the Archbishop, especially to assist in the post-conflict development of the Archdiocese. The eight members (five priests) reside at their main apostolate Ocer Campion Jesuit College, Gulu.
Present areas of Apostolate in the Archdiocese of Gulu
Direct a Jesuit mixed secondary school called Ocer (“He Rose”) Campion Jesuit College. Opened in 2010 the school now numbers over 600 boys and girls. Development of the required buildings. Forming and teaching in Alokulum National Major Seminary (philosophate). Pastoral ministries, guiding retreats and seminars, spiritual direction, promotion of a culture of peace through “Undugu” family groups.
Brothers and Scholastics
1 Bro. Cypriano K Mwithia, SJ
2 Bro. James Kanali, SJ
3 Sch. Boniface Kimatu, SJ
4 Sch. Jonny Savio Dungdung, SJ
5 Sch. Tadale Wolde, SJ
APOSTLES OF JESUS
Who are the Apostles of Jesus Missionaries?
Owing to God’s unfathomable love for the world, God called into existence the Apostles of Jesus Missionaries. Inspired by the Holy Spirit, Most Rev. Bishop Sixtus Mazzoldi MCCJ (a native of Nago-Trento-Italy) and Rev. Fr. John Marengoni MCCJ (a native of Milano-Italy) founded the Missionary Order of the Apostles of Jesus in 1968, the first of its kind to be erected in Africa, for the express purpose of training and forming Religious Missionaries as Priests and Brothers for the evangelizing mission of the Church.
Thus, the primary end of the Apostles of Jesus is the pursuit of perfect charity, living the evangelical vows of Chastity, poverty and obedience in community; following Christ more closely and committing ourselves totally to the service of the universal Church, and of all people of God.
The Mission of the Apostles of Jesus
The mission of the Apostles of Jesus is to continue Christ’s holistic ministry. Through evangelization, they strive to bring to all peoples and nations of the world, the gospel love, life, compassion and redemption, in order that all may be saved and have life in all its fullness (Jn 10:10).
Hence, the Apostles of Jesus dedicate themselves completely to the service of the Spiritual, Pastoral and Social wellbeing of all people with preference to the poor, in the spirit of Christ who came to serve and not to be served (Mt 20:28).
The Apostles of Jesus in Gulu Archdiocese
The Apostles of Jesus’ presence in the Archdiocese of Gulu is a presence of historical memory since all their co-founders lived in Gulu before moving to Moroto where the congregation was founded.
Here in Gulu Archdiocese, Apostles of Jesus missionaries are ministering in 3 communities: – Two Parishes and a community house in Alokolum adjacent to the Major Seminary, serving as a house for members when they come to Gulu town to meet the Archbishop or Archdiocesan officers or Pastoral meetings or retreats. This house is also intended in the near future to be fully operational for Formation. For two consecutive years a group of novices have been sent here for community as well as pastoral experience and the Archdiocese has been very helpful in this important time of formation for our novices. A member stays in this house working in the New Archdiocesan University (University of the Sacred Heart) as well as Alokolum National Major Seminary of the Uganda Episcopal Conference. The three communities are:
• Atiak Parish in Gulu Vicariate ( 2 members)
• Palabek Parish in Kitgum Vicariate ( 1 members)
• Alokolum community House is in Gulu Vicariate ( 2 member)
In Gulu Archdiocese, the mission of the Apostles of Jesus is a sharing of the lofty gift of faith we received from God through the missionary activity of many men and women who offered their lives to evangelize our peoples of Africa. Our presence is therefore a sharing of our faith and charism with the people of God in Gulu Archdiocese.
They are very much aware of the magnitude of the mission entrusted to them by God in Christ, in and through His Missionary Church. They believe that the Apostles of Jesus are at the very heart of the new evangelization of Africa and the World. They pray that this precious moment of grace for Africa and the world may not go to waste. They affirm their commitment to live their faith with Mary, the Queen and Mother of the Apostles, and to zealously press on, in season and out of season, proclaiming the gospel for the greater glory of God and for the salvation of the world.
SALESIANS OF DON BOSCO
The salesman work at the new Parish of Saints Peter and Paul Atede. They have also established a mission at Palabek refugee settlement. There are a total of 4 members but more will be added to the refugee chaplaincy.
SAINT MARTIN DE PORRES BROTHERS
Brief Historical Background
The congregation founded by Bishop Mazzoldi, had its origin in God’s calling some young men to a life of consecration and service to Him.
Bishop Mazzoldi of Juba asked permission to found a religious institute for Brothers. The Sacred Congregation of Propaganda Fide granted a “Nihil obstat” on 27th October, 1952 (Prot. № 3388/52). Thus, Bishop Mazzoldi issued a decree of erection of the Institute on 23rd March, 1953.
On 23rd September, 1955 a draft rule was approved by the founder, Bishop Sisto Mazzoldi, and the first group of postulants formally began their novitiate. On 19th March, 1957 feast of St. Joseph five novices consecrated themselves to God by their profession.
In 1965 the intensification of the civil war in Southern Sudan, forced the Brothers and aspirants to flee walking to Uganda where they were temporarily received in Agago Refugee Camp (Agago County-Acholi District).
In 1973 Bishop Cypriano Dr. Kihangire of Gulu Diocese offered a better place for the lodging and training of Brothers. Later, the novices were transferred to Lukome. Currently, there are six members of St. Martin De Porres Brothers working in the Archdiocese of Gulu.
Present areas of apostolate in the Archdiocese of Gulu
• Teaching in schools namely: Negri Primary School and Bishop Angelo Negri College respectively.
• Administration and teaching at the University of the Sacred Heart Gulu.
• Motor vehicle mechanical apostolate at St. Joseph’s Garage workshop.
Communities of the St. Martin de Porres Brothers within the Archdiocese of Gulu
At the moment the brothers have three communities in the Archdiocese of Gulu, namely:-
• Negri Community with three brothers.
• Lukome Community (war ravaged place not yet reconstructed but has brothers assigned). It is the formation house of the brothers. There are six brothers and fifteen novices.
• Layibi Community with two brothers.
1. Bro. Santo Okema
2. Bro. Simplicio
3. Bro. James Omoya
4. Bro. Ben
5. Bro. John Bosco Kidega
6. Bro. Nicholas Odoki
7. Anthony Oroci
THE MARIAN BROTHERS
Brief Historical Background
Although the Congregation is commonly known as “Marian Brothers”, the proper name is the Brothers of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The Institute of the Brothers of the Immaculate Heart of Mary is Lay Congregation of the Diocesan Right. It was officially founded in Arua Diocese at Lodonga on 19th March, 1954 with the starting of the novitiate by eight young men.
The general aim of the Congregation is to promote the Glory of God and Mary. The members take the simple Vows of Chastity, Poverty and Obedience. And the specific aim of the congregation is to enable Christians and non-Christians share in the fruits of Redemption, with preference to Christian formation of youth. Hence, the Brothers are known among the local people as “Teaching Brothers”.
The first community was opened in Arua in 1958. Other communities were opened in Aboke, Koboko and Kabale Diocese. Currently, they have communities in Arua Diocese, Nebbi Diocese, Kampala Archdiocese and in Gulu Archdiocese.
The congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary first came to Gulu Archdiocese in 1979 with two Brothers in the Community. At the beginning of 1981 the then Superior General, Brother Alex Koko together with Novices and Postulants and three other Brothers were given accommodation in the Diocese. The Congregation finally left Gulu Diocese in 1987 when one Brother was killed at Negri Primary School.
The second coming of the Congregation in Gulu Archdiocese: The members of the Marian Brothers returned in stages. One Brother (Brother Alphonse) returned to Minakulu with the aim of re-establishing the community after the insurgencies of the 1980’s. One member returned to the Archdiocese in 2001 with the aim of doing pastoral work among youth in schools, especially in a college setting. He was staying in Caritas main centre. Two other Brothers came in 2002 with the aim of joining efforts to establish a new community at the Cathedral Parish. Two other Brothers came from Hoima Diocese in 2005 to re-open St. Isidoro Diocesan farm. A Brother came in 2006 to reinforce the community. These last three Brothers formed the existing community at the Cathedral Parish.
Mission Statement and Vision:
A Religious institute of Brothers specifically committed to Christian formation of the youth by imitating Christ the teacher and educator.
The Vision: A self-reliant and witnessing institute with a solid spiritual and educational background.
Present area of apostolate in the Archdiocese of Gulu
In the field of Apostolate, the Brothers teach in primary, secondary, technical/vocational schools, teacher’s colleges and pastoral institute within and outside the country. Since teaching is their charism, they are expected to be skilled educators, aiming at helping the youth to grow as good Christians and good citizens.
At the moment, there is only one community of the “Marian Brothers” in the Archdiocese of Gulu composed of seven (7) members. The community is located at St. Joseph’s Cathedral Parish Gulu. One brother is a tutor at a Primary Teachers College and is also a Centre Coordinating Tutor involved in supporting and mentoring teachers in a group of primary schools in a sub-county. One brother is a Manager and another his assistant the St. Isodoro Diocesan Farm. One brother is working at the Gulu regional referral Hospital as a doctor. One brother is a builder, mechanic and a social worker among the urban youth. And one brother is involved in youth apostolate in schools.
1. Bro. Alex Koko
2. Bro. Giversio Masembe
3. Bro. Hilary Onziga
4. Bro. Tom Candia
5. Bro. Julius Onyango
6. Bro. Ronald Githo
7. Bro. Alphonse Barry Watmon
THE COMBONI MISSIONARY SISTERS
Brief Historical Background
The official registration name of this congregation in the Vatican is “Pie Madri della Nigrizia”. The registration name in Uganda in the era of Protectorate is “Verona Sisters”. Today, worldwide it is known as the Comboni Missionary Sisters.
The Institute of the Comboni Missionary Sisters, “Pie Madri della Nigrizia,” is a religious missionary family which continues and carries out in the Church the Charism of their Founder St. Daniel Comboni dedicating itself entirely to the mission “ad gentes”, first Evangelization, and Mission Animation (their specification).
St. Daniel Comboni who with profound intuition recognized that a consecrated woman has a specicial role to perform in the missionary activity of the Church, founded the congregation in 1872 in Verona, Italy. The institute originated from the mission and for the mission. St. Daniel Comboni when he went to Sudan in 1857 he deeply believed, despite the hardship of the time, that God was calling him to spend his life to the Evangelization of Africa. He mobilized and animated for collaboration for both material resources and human labor. For its continuity he founded the religious congregation both male and female of all nationalities in full collaboration with the laity.
The Institute is of Pontifical Right and directly depends on the Congregation of the Evangelization of Peoples, with which it maintains frequent contact in a spirit of union and collaboration. The institute is consecrated to the Heart of Christ and placed under the protection of Mary Immaculate and St. Joseph.
The Comboni Missionary Sisters had been invited by Reverend Father Antonio Vignato, the then Provincial Superior of the Comboni Missionaries in Uganda who saw the urgent need of the sisters in the new mission. The first five sisters were assigned to the requested mission land. They entered from the north, traveling as far as Rejaf by boat from Khartoum and then proceeding walking to Patiko (Bardege) where they opened their new mission in 1918.
The very house, the Mission Animation Centre today was then built as an administrative house (Provincial house) for the sisters as they expanded to the other parts of the Archdiocese and regions in the north.
The sisters came on the mission of first Evangelization according to their charism. Since their arrival they have worked and contributed to the establishment and growth of the Church in Gulu, in the north and north east of Uganda as a whole. The Congregation has been part of the history of the Church in the Archdiocese of Gulu.
Areas of Apostolate
From their arrival to date the sisters have been active in integral Evangelization-initiating and developing: education, religious, pastoral, social and health institutions securing the establishment and continuity of a solid Church. Since 1918 they have co-operated in the work of Evangelization with the Comboni Fathers.
The Sisters at the Comboni Animation Centre are working full time in Mission Animation and Vocation promotion. They follow students in secondary schools (Comboni Youth Missionary Group-CYMG). These students are prepared to be Christian missionaries in their school and at home. One Sister is working in the Family Ministry. She prepares couples for the Sacrament of Marriage and also carryout formation of families “the faithful house.” The Sisters also help the poor, the elderly, the street children and child mothers with medicine, food, blankets, and school fees.
THE LITTLE SISTERS OF MARY IMMACULATE OF GULU
Brief Historical Background Visit our Website Here!
This institute is called the Little Sisters of Mary Immaculate of Gulu. It is a local institute of Diocesan Right. The Founder is Bishop Angelo Negri, a Comboni Missionary who was appointed by the Holy See, first Vicar Apostolic of the Vicariate of Equatorial Nile, with seat in Gulu in 1935.
In 1936 he was inspired to start a new congregation of African Sisters, making his own a desire already expressed by his predecessor Monsignor Antonio Vignato, Apostolic Prefect of Equatorial Nile.
The Congregation of the Little Sisters began its life in Gulu. The first girls who showed signs of becoming Sisters came from the girls school already developed in Gulu. In 1939, ten girls who wanted to become Sisters were placed in the care of Reverend Mother Angioletta Dognini, a Comboni Sister who became the Co-Foundress of the Congregation.
The Sacred Congregation of Propaganda Fide granted the “Nihil Obstat” (no objection) in January 1940. On 25th December, 1942 the new Novitiate was opened at Nyapea because of the war in Gulu. In 1944 the Novitiate was transferred to Gulu. The first profession of the Congregation took place 0n 6th January, 1945.
Bishop Angelo Negri had a great paternal interest in the development of the Congregation and did all he could to make it stand. When he died on 11th November, 1949 in Arua the number of professed Sisters was sixteen.
After his death, the Co-foundress continued to govern the Congregation and in 1964 the first General Chapter was held. As the number of the Sisters increased, the members of the Congregation became more involved in its government.
In 1975 with the third General Chapter, the Congregation had its first Superior General from among its own members. Presently there are 450 professed sisters. The institute has its Mother House, Formation and Generalate in Gulu.
The Little Sisters of Mary Immaculate of Gulu has its Generalate, formation house and the house fort the sick and elderly here in Gulu. It has total of sixty nine (69) nine communities around the world, twenty (29) of which are within the Archdiocese of Gulu.
Areas of Apostolate
• Teaching in nursery, primary, secondary schools as well as Universities and Tertiary institutions
• Administration at the Archdiocese and other Secular institution
• Health services in hospitals and health centres
• Training of Catechists
• Pastoral work in Parishes
THE SISTERS OF THE SACRED HEARTS OF JESUS AND MARY
Brief Historical Background
The Congregation of the Sisters of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary was founded in France by Reverend Father Victor Braun in 1866. In 1870 the Congregation spread to England (United Kingdom). This United Kingdom Province became autonomous in 1903 under the leadership of Reverend Mother Winifred Tyrell, who is considered the Co-founder of the Sisters of the Scared Heart of Jesus and Mary. From this new autonomous branch in the UK Missions were opened in the first half of 20th Century in Ireland, Scotland and Wales. In the second half of 20th Century Missions were opened up in California, Zambia, Columbia, the Philippines and Uganda.
Their first Ugandan Mission was opened in Mukono in the Diocese of Lugazi in February 2001. On discovering the plight of the people in northern Uganda a member of the Congregation approached Archbishop John Baptist Odama who welcomed the Sisters’ interest and negotiations with the Congregational Leadership Team, in the UK, began.
On 18th May, 2002 two Sisters went to Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish Pabo and were offered hospitality by the Little Sisters of Mary Immaculate of Gulu, and as previously arranged they stayed in Pabo for two months. Due to insecurity the Sisters did not return to Pabo until 16th December, 2004 this time to the Convent newly constructed for them. They have got two communities in Uganda: one in Mukono and one here in the Archdiocese of Gulu at Pabo Parish. They have got two members working in the Archdiocese of Gulu plus a group of lay Associate Members – The Companions of the Sacred Hearts – living in Pabo Community who have imbibed the spirit and charism of the Congregation and are involved in its apostolate. They are responsible for the management of a Community Based Organization (CBO) – Women and Children First Organization (WACFO) which is under the Managing Agency of the Scared Heart of Jesus and Mary. This CBO is deeply involved in Community development activities among the very poor in hard to reach parts of Pabo Sub-County.
Present Areas of Apostolate in the Archdiocese of Gulu
The Sisters of Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary are committed to working with the poor in the community situation rather than in institutions. Children with disabilities are a particular concern especially those coming from far to reach villages. Services for children and young adults with disabilities include education, pastoral care, skills training, physiotherapy where necessary, medical support and accommodation for specific children for a specific period of time. Both Sisters and Companions of the Sacred Hearts are responsible for these activities.
The Companions of the Sacred Hearts have oversight of the Food and Economic Security projects carried out among the very poor – widows, HiV+people, and unemployed youth. Savings and Credit Schemes as well as Adult Literacy, Sanitation and Nutrition are basic to the WACFO philosophy as is environmental protections. All Income Generating projects are based on care of the earth, especially in relation to addressing water harvesting and tree protection. Fish farming, pig rearing and beekeeping are developed round a philosophy of sustainability of the family and the environment.
WACFO has two main donors – Misean Cara (Ireland) and Porticus (Netherlands) and four smaller donors – AVSI, Meyer Family Foundation (UK), Lilianne Fonds (Netherlands) and Dr Tom Dooley Fund (Ireland)
SACRED HEART SISTERS
Brief Historical Background
The Congregation of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is a religious and apostolic Institute of local origin. “Sisters Of The Sacred Heart Of Jesus – Juba” is their official title. In Uganda they are called “Sacred Heart Sisters of Moyo”, as their main centre is Moyo town, Arua Diocese. They are a Catholic, local congregation of religious women founded in 1954 by the late Bishop Sixtus Mazzoldi in Juba, South Sudan. Bishop Mazzoldi was a Comboni Missionary who was then the Bishop of Juba. They are not attached to any other international congregation who may also bear the name “Sacred Heart”.
Fr Sixtus Mazzoldi came to Sudan in 1931, and was at Rejaf Parish among the Bari people. Three years later in 1934, he was transferred to Kapoeta. He remained at Kapoeta for 12 years. Then he left the area in 1946 in order to become Rector of Okaru seminary. In 1947, he went to Italy to take part in the General Chapter of their congregation. At the end of that same year he was appointed the Regional Superior of the missionaries of the Prefecture Apostolic of Bahr-el-Gebel. In 1951, when the Prefecture Apostolic of Bahr-el-Gebel was elevated to Vicariate Apostolic, Mazzolidi was chosen to be its first Bishop. He was consecrated Bishop on 24th June 1951 in Trento (Italy). His Episcopal motto was: “So that they could have life”.
His attention to the evangelization of the rural population entrusted to his care continued in his new place of responsibility as pastor of the whole Vicariate. It was at this time that besides the normal pastoral work in his Vicariate, Bishop Mazzoldi took upon himself the responsibility of starting the two religious congregations of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Brothers of St Martin de Porres. At foundation, the Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus were called “The Sudanese Teaching Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Juba”. As the Congregation expanded to Uganda and Kenya, the name of the congregation was modified to “Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus” to include all nationalities.
Area of Apostolate
The aim of establishing this congregation was to evangelize and educate children in schools. However, with time, the sisters began to engage in various other activities that could foster the development of the local Church, such as pastoral work, social work, nursing (health care) and others.
In the Archdiocese of Gulu, the Sacred Heart Sisters of Moyo have two communities. They run two girls tailoring schools: St. Monica Gulu and Atyak, a kindergarten, and a dispensary. Some of their members also teach in Ocer Campion Jesuit College.
1. Holy cross sisters
2. Sisters of providence for abandoned children
3. The Caritas sisters of Jesus